Houston home burglaries increase in the autumn months according to crime statistics. Darker nights plus empty houses during the day because children are away at school and parents are at work make homes more vulnerable to burglaries and break-ins.
At Safeguard Home Security we know that thieves are opportunistic and the cooler months of autumn in Houston often give them ample incentive to begin seeking easy targets. Individual thieves will often “case” specific homes to determine when the family leaves and if there are counter measures such as monitored security alarm systems or neighborhood patrols.
Gangs of thieves will often target entire areas or subdivisions looking for multiple homes to rob in a single day. Just last fall in separate incidents police in Houston and College Station apprehended two organized gangs of burglars who had stolen over $1 million worth of jewelry and other valuables in targeted crime sprees.
Fortunately you don’t have to become a victim and your home does not have to be added to the Houston crime statistics. There are some simple tips we at Safeguard Home Security recommend to help keep your home and loved ones safe, even when you’re not around.
- Install and always arm a monitored alarm system from Safeguard Home Security. Our professional staff can provide 24 hour monitoring for unmatched peace-of-mind.
- Prominently display our Safeguard Home Security Monitoring signs and window stickers. Burglars want easy targets and the rapid responsive and immediate warnings produced by our alarm systems mean they’d rather find a less risky victim.
- Lock all windows and doors every time you leave. Both are points of easy access.
- Don’t hide keys under doormats or around your home. If you must, give a spare key to a trusted neighbor.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight. Close your blinds and curtains.
- Use light timers to turn on and off lights even when you’re not home.
- Play music or the television to cause doubt about the home being occupied.
- Ask your neighbors to be vigilant and do the same for them. Even if you don’t have a neighborhood crime-watch, a neighbor looking out for neighbors is a good defense.
Houston home burglaries do increase in the autumn months but with some simple precautions like a professional, monitored Safeguard Home Security system, your house, family and belongings can be protected.